Monday, August 17, 2009

Day Dreaming

A Student came to me and Said "I am an excessive day dreamer, please help me WANT TO QUIT HABIT OF DAYDREAMING"
She further said in a low voice "I am a 19 yr old girl, I REALLY NEED HELP".
Now as a teacher I truly understand this situation. I have seen many First year students of engineering. Many of them had quit there home for first time. They feel alone in a new place. I said to the girl."Can you please explain your problem in detail".
The girl narrated her story. "I have a very big problem of daydreaming. My upbringing was very good. My parents have always been caring, loving, supportive. I have always been a very good student . I have always scored more than 85% in my exams till now. I do not have any sibling or first cousins. I have always been very shy & a bit of introvert & so i always had very few friends. I have been daydreaming since i was 13 yrs old. I was very fascinated by a cartoon (action animation)& i used to imagine as being like one . I used to imagine myself as the most popular kid in my school ('coz i was not). And not only this , I daydream about lot of other stuff. The day I see an action movie I start fantasizing and it remains in my head even for a week. Since few months i often daydream whether I am in train, in d toilet or while having lunch etc. about something or the other. I am from a science field. I realised that on d day of submission, I was actually stammering and shaking. I was terribly nervous inspite of knowing all the answers.Its also affecting my speech. Sometimes i am at a loss of words. My vocablary has become poor.I am not very social. some how I lack confidence. My body language is not quite graceful. I have also become addicted to television and have become very lethargic. I keep procastinating. Its also affecting my alertness and my memory. I always wanted to pursue PhD in my subject . But now-a-days I am so lost in my world that I rarely study. When a book is in front me I concentrate for sometime & when I take a break I am again lost in my thoughts. I cannot tell this to anyone for I know my mom would just tell me that as we are financially good ,I dont have any disturbance in my house ...... so I should study well..... Hence I am narrating this to you. PLEASE HELP ME."
=======================================================
After hearing such a long story I was a bit bored . But have to help her. I cleverly hide my boredness and council her. I Said ."Daydreaming is a normal thing that every individual does,but i think you are doing out of your control.You are big enough to control your thoughts and minds.So when you feel like dreaming beyond the limits,start concentrating in reading,writing,or talking to your parents etc." I don't Know she was listenening to me or stated day dreaming infront of me. But as a part of my duty I continued and further said to her.
"Imaginiation is not at all bad, in fact art of visualisation is good to some extent.What you have is nothing too serious. You have to bring it under your control and change yourself." Now it was a one way communication.
I was broadcasting as she was reciving. I further try to attain her concentration and said. "SEE,You can clearly find out the problems and causes due to excessive day dreaming.... so it is you who should correct it by yourself.It has developed beecause you are brought up alone with no siblings.Normally a single child who lives in nuclear family develops with this problem."
Now the girl was responding since I was talking about her. I further adviced her. "Read positive thinking books.Books by shiv kera,norman vincent peale,dale carnegie etc will guide you to develop your personality buliding and remove your fear and despair.you should keep yourself occupied by going to extra co curricular classes,learning meditation techniques etc."
I further explained her in her own story. "Let me explain you why I am telling you this. 1)You said that you see cartoons or action movies and you think that you are like the hero in that movie or cartoon.But I really don't think that is something big in your age.You know even I am very crazy about action movies.After I see any movie,sometimes I take some time to come into reality.That is usual.At young age children want to be like their role models.But becoming like your favorite hero is not something easily possible or sometimes it is not even possible.So we fantasize them.That is normal.So dont worry about them. 2)You told your vocabulary is not good.But I don't think so.Any one who read your above narration will not tell that your English is bad.So all your problems are solved now."
Now I can clearly see a smile on the face of the girl.Still she say nothing. So as usual I have to continue the conversation.
I said "Actually you don't have any problems,but you thought you have.Now you can live your life with full confidence.I think that you can attain success in any area you enter.So be confident and proceed."
Now the point was clear to her. Do you want to know what she said at last.
She said "Before confirming that you have a problem,make sure that it is really a problem."
Now I feel proud to solve her problem.But as a teacher I have to give her assignment.I told her to write atleast 5 points to prevent daydreming habbit.
She happily Said "I will do it. But you have to post it on your blog so that lot of people can get benefit of this"
And so I am posting this article on Daydremeaning on my blog. Meanwhile below is the assignment of that girl. =========================================================
Day dreaming is not a big problem at all. Some of the easy and natural ways to get rid of day dreaming are:
1. Practice yoga and Pranayamam ( Learn it from an expert or GURU)
2. Reduce seeing TV for long hours and limit it to a maximum of 1 or 2 hours per day.
3. Change your food habits. Avoid more Masala and spicy food.
4. There is a Homoeopathy related treatment named flower medicine treatment in which there are simple and cheap medicines to cure day dreaming. In fact, I also had this day dreaming problem, I am using flower medicine and I have improved a lot.
5. Engage yourself in some useful physical activities. Since IDLE MIND is DEVIL's WORKSHOP.
6. Always try to be with good friends and relatives. Spend most of the time with your mother and help her in day to day activities.
7. Listen to good music ( especially spiritual songs). Listening to only instrumental music (without voice) will help much.
If you follow all the above, within a short span of time, all the issues of daydreaming will vanish and you will enjoy happiness and peace of mind.
ALL THE BEST Take care.

No comments:

d